Family Sponsorship

Sponsor Your Family Member

Family Sponsorship

Family reunification and reconnecting loved ones with their Canadian families, is a major focus for Canada. If you or a family member are Canadian residents or citizens, you may be eligible to be sponsored or sponsor a loved one. This is a time sensitive immigration process through which our experts at Westside Canada Immigration can guide you. Contact us today to see how we can help you reconnect with your loved ones. We will be here with you every step of the way.

What you need know

Basic Requirements for Family Sponsorship

There are various requirements that must be met to be a sponsor. Below is a list of what you will need and the criteria that must be met:

  • You must be 18 years of age or older;
  • You and the sponsored relative must sign a sponsorship agreement that commits you to provide financial support for your relative, if necessary. This agreement also says the person becoming a permanent resident will make every effort to support her or himself;
  • You must provide financial support for a spouse, common-law or conjugal partner for three years from the date they become a permanent resident;
  • You must provide financial support for a dependent child for 10 years, or until the child turns 25, whichever comes first.​

Sponsor your Spouse, Common-law Partner or Conjugal Partner to Immigrate to Canada

You can sponsor your partner to immigrate to Canada with you, regardless of their gender, as long as you both are at least 18 years old and legally married, in a common law relationship or in a conjugal relationship. If you are in a common law relationship, you and your partner must have been living together for at least 12 consecutive months, without any long period apart.
You may be able to sponsor a conjugal partner if you and your partner cannot legally live together in your country for reasons such as: current marital status, sexual orientation or persecution. Please talk to one of our Regulated Canadian Immigration Consultants for a case evaluation. In order to apply, you must gather documentation that proves that your relationship is genuine. In addition, you must provide personal documents and information from both you, your spouse and dependent children, if any. If you are a Canadian citizen living outside Canada, you can still apply to sponsor your spouse or common-law partner, as long as you plan to return to Canada once the application is approved.

Preparing a complete and well-organized application increases your chances of success and may also result in a faster processing. Count on one of our experienced Regulated Canadian Immigration Consultants to assist you in preparing your application.

Sponsor your Dependent Children to Live in Canada

You can sponsor your children if they are still a dependent family member. For a child to be considered a dependent family member, they must be under 22 years old and not be legally married or in a common law relationship. However, if your child is 22 or older, they can still be considered dependent if:

  • They are unable to financially support themselves because of a mental or physical condition;
  • They have depended on you for financial support since before the age of 22

If your dependent children have dependent children, they can also be sponsored by you to come to Canada. Please note that it is mandatory that your dependent child must continue to meet these requirements until the end of your application process, with the exception of age.