Study Permit

Canadian Student Visa

Get your dream education
in Canada

Canada has a well-regarded and diverse education system that offers a wide range of educational opportunities for both Canadian and international students. To study in Canada as an international student, you generally need a study permit, which is the Canadian equivalent of a student visa.

If your study program in Canada is 6 months long or less, you do not need a study permit. However, if you plan to study in Canada for more than 6 months, or extend your stay after the initial program of studies, we do recommend you to apply for a study permit.

If you are interested in obtaining a study permit in Canada, WCI immigration consultants can help you attain just that.

What You Need to Know

Meeting The Requirements

There are various requirements that must be met before you can apply for a study permit in Canada. Below is a list of what you will need and the criteria that must be met:

  • The applicant must have been accepted/received their acceptance letter from an educational institution, college, or university, from a list of approved designated learning institutions (DLI) in Canada. DLI’s are the only institutions that can host international students.
  • The applicant must prove to having sufficient money to pay for one year of tuition fees, living expenses and transportation back to their home country, if needed. These expenses should be covered for the applicant and any family members who will be moving with the applicant.
  • The applicant must be law-abiding with no criminal record and not to be a risk to the security of Canada. You may have to provide a police certificate
  • The applicant must be in good health and willing to complete a medical examination if necessary
  • The applicant must convince the immigration officer that once their authorized stay in Canada is complete, they will leave the country.

What You Need to Know

Post Graduation Work Permit

An international student can apply for a post-graduate work permit within 6 months of completion of their program of study in Canada. The applicant can apply from within Canada or outside of Canada if the student has studied full time for a minimum of 8 months in a PGWP eligible DLI.

The PGWP can be valid for up to 3 years after being issued, but this timeline also depends on the duration of the study program(s) completed.

However, if they apply from within Canada, they must maintain their status in Canada. Otherwise, they should either leave Canada to apply from outside Canada or restore their status within 90 days of loosing their status in Canada.

Please note that a study permit becomes invalid 90 days after the student completes their program of study.

If the international student lost his/her status in Canada as student, restoration is mandatory if applying for post graduate work permit from within Canada. And do not work until you receive work permit.